Submit an application online .
After submitting an application, you must submit all required documents listed in the “What to Submit Before Testing” drop down. Required documents can be emailed to Edith Gomez EGomez@smw104jatc.org Documents will ONLY BE ACCEPTED ELECTRONICALLY at this time due to COVID-19. Once all required documents are submitted you must contact Edith Gomez EGomez@smw104jatc.org or (510) 483-9036 to schedule the Math Test.
The following documents must be emailed to Edith Gomez EGomez@smw104jatc.org before scheduling the Math Test. Documents will ONLY BE ACCEPTED ELECTRONICALLY at this time due to COVID-19
- Photo identification, such as a valid driver’s license, passport, or state issued photo I.D. (A valid driver’s license will be required before dispatch).
- One of the following – High School Diploma, official transcript indicating graduation, G.E.D., Cert. of Proficiency, or College Degree (AA, AS or higher).
- “Building Trades” applicants who pass the math test may be offered the opportunity to be employed as a “Pre-Apprentice”
- You must answer Yes to the question of willing to work as a Pre-Apprentice on the application in order to be offered this opportunity of working as a Pre-Apprentice
East Bay Counties JATC
1700 Marina Boulevard, San Leandro
North Bay Counties JATC
4350 Central Place, Fairfield
1939 Market Street, San Francisco, (Local 104)
Santa Clara County JATC
2350 Lundy Place, San Jose
San Benito, Monterey, Santa Cruz JATC
11060 Commercial Parkway, Castroville
- Pass the math test
- Provide a copy of your Honorable Discharge (DD-214), before you can schedule an interview
- Bring a photo ID to the interview
- Submit any other related documents that would substantiate your experience Documents will ONLY BE ACCEPTED ELECTRONICALLY at this time due to COVID-19
Graduates from any of the approved Trade Preparation Programs may inquire about direct entry opportunities by calling Linda Montenegro at (510) 483-3073 between 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Monday through Friday:
- Approved Trade Preparation Programs
- Castroville Trades Assurance Program (TAP)
- San Jose Trades Orientation Program (TOP)
- East Bay Cypress Mandela
- East Bay Pittsburg Works
- East Bay Richmond Build
- East Bay Rising Sun
- North Bay Trades Assurance Program (TAP)
- North Bay Trades Introduction Program (TIP)
- San Francisco City Build
- San Mateo Trades Introduction Program (TIP)
Applicants who successfully pass the Math Test and have selected the Air Conditioning Mechanic (BT Service) or Test and Air Balance (TAB) as the type of apprenticeship, should contact a training facility for more information on possible sponsorship opportunities.
2020 Aptitude Testing Schedule
All applicants must call the training facility to reserve a seat in a test session.
Sheet Metal Workers’ Local 104 and Bay Area Training Fund has suspended all Aptitude Test until further notice due to the current COVID-19 conditions. When the scheduling of Aptitude Testing resumes, the Training Program will contact all applicants who are eligible to test with a scheduled date and post upcoming testing dates on this page.
We appreciate your patience it these uncertain times.
Ranked List: A list of eligible applicants will be established and updated monthly. Eligible Sheet Metal Worker applicants will be placed on a list ranked by points as described below. All eligible ranked applicants will remain on the ranking list for a period of two (2) years.
Each month all ranked applicants remaining on the preceding months ranking list will automatically be carried forward on the new months ranking list. All qualified applicants will be ranked according to their ranking points. An individuals ranking position may move up or down the ranking list according to their ranking points as new applicants are ranked each month.
MAP Mathematics Test
Differential Aptitude Test
Verbal Reasoning 30 points
Numerical Reading 25 points
Abstract Reasoning 30 points
Mechanical Reasoning 45 points
Spatial Relations 35 points
Applicant Industry Test (Voluntary)
Work Experience Points will be added as follows:
1 to 24 points possible for other mechanical related work experience, (as of ranking).
U.S. Military Service (Honorable discharge, verified prior to ranking)
Trade related Enrichment Classes
3 points per class